To increase the production of rare earth elements and to remove barriers to access of rare earth elements domestically and internationally; to increase the affordability and trade of rare earth minerals; to increase the affordability and availability of technologically and environmentally advanced products made with rare earth minerals all for the betterment of people’s lives and the environment in which they live.
RARE advocates for policies and legislation that support the following critical rare earth material goals:
1. Creation of policies for rare earth and related materials designed to assure a long-term supply, thereby reducing risks to national security and military defense and increasing availability and opportunities for development of renewable energy products and innovative technologies.
2. Promote research and development of rare earth materials in renewable energy products and innovative technologies.
3. Promote domestic and international (beyond China) mining and processing of rare earth materials, through expedited permitting and appropriate trade policies.
4. Promote domestic and international (beyond China) rare earth processing and refining training and educational intiatives.
RARE believes that the development of rare earth materials should be conducted sustainably. RARE’s policy committee will work with member companies to develop an international set of principles for mining and processing rare earth materials to which signing companies will commit to meeting:
1. Ethical corporate governance
2. Fundamental human rights recognition
3. Transparent engagement with communities and governments
4. Robust standards for environmental, health, and safety protection
5. Biodiversity conservation
6. Responsible product design and life-cycle management, and
7. Economic prosperity.